General Info of Nearby Schools
With the legal name of sogang University, the school¡¯s education is set on values presented by the Society of Jesus. Located at 1 Shinsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, its campus covers 156,320§³. Established by the Society of Jesus in April 1960, sogang University gained its university standing in March 1970 and stands till this day. Past presidents include K. E. Killoren, J. P. Daly, M. D. Skillingstad, J. D. Mace, In Seok Seo, Hong Park, Sang Il Lee followed by today¡¯s President Byeong Doo Sohn. Among 251 faculty members are 139 professors, 61 associate professors, 49 assistant professors, and 2 others, and the total number of enrolled students is 6,713. Currently, the school consists of 9 graduate schools (including the School of Policy and School of Mass Communication), 6 departments and 23 majors, and is furnished with facilities including a library, museum, media office, communications center, gym, university press, and publications office. The Continuing Education Center, established in September 1989, teach adult citizens. In addition, sogang is affiliated with 22 institutions including the Institute for Business Research and the Institute for Economic Research.
A private university renowned for its 100 year tradition and history, the school¡¯s legal name is Yonsei University, instituting principles of truth and freedom. The mother campus is located at 134 Sinchon-dong, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, and its two branches: Maeji Campus at 234 Maeji-ri, Heungeop-myeon, Gangwon-do, and Ilsan Campus at 162 Ilsan-dong, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do. The area of the main campus is 3,211,222§³ consisting of 108 buildings and 283 classrooms. Succeeding the Jejungwon (Korea¡¯s first modern hospital), established in 1885, a modern Severance Hospital was built in 1904, which later carried the new name Severance Union Medical College in 1913. The Chosun Christian College founded by H. G. Underwood in 1917, promoted its status as Yonhi College in 1923, and Yonhi University in 1957. Final efforts were made by O. R. Avison who merged the two schools together to form today¡¯s Yonsei University. In 1977, the Severance Medical College opened a branch hospital in Wonju, receiving separate university standing as Wonju University in 1981, and established the Wonju Medical College in 1982 as well as the Centennial Hall celebrating the school¡¯s 100th anniversary. Past presidents of the University include Nak Joon Baik, Byeong Gan Goh, In Ku Yoon, Dae Sun Park, Woo Joo Lee, Se Hee Ahn, Young Sik Park, and Ja Song. Currently in office is President Chang Young Jung.
Ehwa Woman¡¯s University
Located at 11-1 Daehyeon-dong, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul, and named judicially as Ehwa Haktang, the school¡¯s precepts are truth (òØ), goodness (à¼) and beauty (Ú¸). Producing many woman leaders, the school educated women since early modern times as an organization of advanced education. Its net area covers 599,635§³ consisting of 55 school buildings. Founded by the missionary Mary F. Scranton in May 1886, the school opened its first college courses in 1910. In 1925, the school renamed itself as Ewha Women¡¯s Professional School, and moved its campus from Jeongdong to Sinchon in 1935. It was after independence from the Japanese that the school gained university standing in October 1945. Helen Kim, Seung Man Choi, Eun Sook Seo, Young Eui Kim, Ok Gill Kim, Il Sook Chung, and Hoo Jung Yoon were past presidents of Ehwa Haktang and currently in office is President Bae Yong Lee.
With Hongik School as its legal name, the school principles are based on independence, creativeness, and cooperation. Addressed at 72-1 Sangsu-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, its second campus, Jochiwon Campus, is located at 34-31 Sinan-ri, Jochiwon-eup, Yeongi-gun, Chungcheonnam-do, with a total area covering 1,429,218§³ of land and 218,546§³ of building space. Starting with the Heungkuksa Temple in Wonhyoro as its school building, the Hongmungwan School was established in 1946. After being undertaken by the Daejonggyo (religion of great ancestors) Foundation in 1947, the school moved to Jeo-dong, and received education approval in the next year renamed as Hongik School, and college standing in the following year to receive the name Hongik College. As the campus reloctaed to today¡¯s location in 1955, Do Young Lee took over the foundation. Though the school was renamed Hongik Art College in 1961, the school restored its previous name in 1962 and gained university standing in 1971. Its Graduate School of Industrial Arts was opened in 1972, Graduate School of Environment in 1980, Graduate School of Education in 1981, Institute of Special Arts in 1986, Graduate School of International Business Administration in 1987, and the Jochiwon Campus was established in 1988. Conforming to the foundational ideals of humanitarianism and industrial-academic harmonium, the university pursues development strategies in specialized fields concentrated on arts, design, engineering, commerce and economy. Currently, Seung Eui Nam is serving as president of the university.